The Finches Investigation ; science

In 6H, we’ve been learning about evolution.

To help with our understanding, we did an investigation on which tools picked up the most food in 30 seconds. The tools we used were cocktail sticks, tweezers, spoons and pegs and the food items were raisins, spaghetti and lentils. After that we wrote the results into a table then turned it into a graph.

Here are some examples:

Which tools worked best for your group?

Did any of the results surprise you?

30 thoughts on “The Finches Investigation ; science”

1. I was surprised by how little spaghetti we managed to get with the spoon. I thought that we’d get at least ten pieces, however we actually got just one piece.
    In our group, most of the tools preformed quite similarly, but the tweezers and the cocktail stick were the overall champions.

2. Doing this experiment was fun because you could find out what tool worked best and in our group the spoon worked best for the raisns.

3. In my group the tweezers were the best tool as they help to keep the object still. Surprisingly, the cocktail stick worked well with the raisins.

4. Actually, quite a few of the results surprised me. I thought we would at least get some spaghetti with the spoon. My team (you can see our results in the second book) found that the tweezers was the best tool for picking up the food items: spaghetti, lentils and raisins.

5. Doing this experiment, I really enjoyed it: it amused me because I thought some of the things were impossible. These challenges showed how the evolution of the bird flinches.

6. I was taking pictures on an ipad so I didn’t try the tools but i was most surprised when the spoon got the least for lentils.

7. This was a very inspiring investigation and it helped a lot with my understanding with bar charts thank you a lot for letting us do this I loved it and cannot wait for more bar chart work.

8. Working with many different tools, I thoroughly enjoyed this absolutely amazing science lesson where we used a variety of foods such as lentils, raisins and spaghetti. This lesson was tons of fun! 😛

9. This lesson was extremely fun, me and my group worked well together and found that the cocktail stick didn’t work very well.

10. This was so interesting to do with are lovely helping teacher who taught us through it. I hope we get to do this again .

11. This experiment was so much fun! The best tool that worked for us were the tweezers and the one that surprised me was the peg because I thought that it would be easy to pick things up with it but actually it was one of the hardest.